A community initiative led by Ente Manimalayar (My Manimala River) Peoples’ Fraternity for the restoration of watershed, rejuvenating agriculture, promoting responsible tourism, etc.
• > 100km rivulets restored
• 5 Peoples Fraternity group actively working
• Community Sewage Treatment plant at Mundakayam (initiated)
As a novel community initiative a Participatory Conservation Project for the river was implemented in three phases covering a period of three years (2016- 2019).
• During the first year river bank schools were selected for preparing biodiversity register by biodiversity survey, exploring river and riparian biodiversity; cleaning drive; planting of bamboos and releasing fingerlings of native fish species; and also awareness programmes (street plays, river walks, rallies, etc.) my river my life – get list of schools.
• During the second year awareness programmes for community groups; river bank protection activities like planting of trees, cleaning drive; rain water harvesting pits; and waste management provisions in households in order to curb pollution of river like compost pit and soak pit in 50 houses.
• During the third year, extended its activities to the watershed area of the river and restored one rivulet of the river (Thalikathodu) which is a tributary of the Chalakudypuzha and also a seminar on post-flood ecological scenario in Kerala with respect to Chalakudy River was conducted.